- Posts: 1
- Thank you received: 0
BadBallscrewBob wrote: First things first.
Get rid of 1.6.6 and go back to 1.6.5
I spent over a week "struggling" to get almost any ESP project running under 1.6.6.
By getting rid I also mean TOTALLY !
First off uninstall the IDE as normal
Next delete the Arduino folder under the Users\yourname\AppData\Local\Arduino if it exists.
Next delete the Arduino folder under the Users\yourname\Application Data\ and delete Arduino folders if they exist.
Double check for any leftovers and if you have your Libraries or sketches elsewhere then either archive or delete (your choice but delete worked better for me) Certainly deleye the Libraries folder from inside the sketches folder at the very least.
If you have a decent registry cleaner use it at this point. I used the "Wise Registry Cleaner" and Let it do its thing.
Install 1.6.5 as per normal and make any personal changes at this point,
Now shoot over to learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/esp8266-thi...sp8266-arduino-addon and follow the instructions there (dont get sidetracked)
You should have a stable Arduino IDE with ESP board manager now enabled.
DONT just dump all your past libraries back in to the libs folder as that may also cause issues.
Take an ESP and use a simple blink sketch to it just to be sure everything is OK and if not make any minor adjustments at this point but do not go throwing libs around.
If its all good you can start getting a little more adventurous with ESP projects.
If like me you are just using the generic ESP's then heads up that some of the newer ones (usually black in colour) have a little more memory and you may have to account for that in the IDE setup for the board.
I need to select Flash Size: "1M (512K SPIFFS)" as that was what the test sketch for ESP configuration told me I had.
Hopefully by this point you are able to flash and run programs. the newer ESP,s also dont need much to flash either. I just used this one and it works everytime for the newer ones.
Built mine with a switch and a few headers so I can play before I commit to a bulld.
The reason for all your errors is a bug in 1.6.6 and the way it handles librariy names. I found it by accident and asked a question on the Arduino forum. One of the senior members spotted it as I was getting Library updates offered over and over again and despite taking them all it still kept offering.
He has submitted it for a bug fix but ubntil then 1.6.5 is your best friend.