wifi or ethernet cable

9 years 2 weeks ago #1056 by enigma
Hi All,
slowly very slowly, I get some grip on this all.
But I have many questions sorry for that.
According easyLot architecture picture all the esp8266 are talking to the wifi dongle, and is than the router hardwired with an Ethernet cable to your raspberry pi???.
Your phone an or your computer is that also talking via the wifi dongle??
Please what is the best setup?/
Thank you in advance
With kind regards
koen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 2 weeks ago #1057 by EasyIoT
Replied by EasyIoT on topic wifi or ethernet cable

enigma wrote: Hi All,
slowly very slowly, I get some grip on this all.
But I have many questions sorry for that.
According easyLot architecture picture all the esp8266 are talking to the wifi dongle, and is than the router hardwired with an Ethernet cable to your raspberry pi???.
Your phone an or your computer is that also talking via the wifi dongle??
Please what is the best setup?/
Thank you in advance
With kind regards
koen

ESP8266 is connected to Raspberry via WiFi router or WiFi dongle. It's not important what you use. ESP8266 requires WiFI connection to your RPI. I'm using cable connection, because RPI is near WiFi router. RPI is usually behind firewall on private(home) network. If you open EasyIoT port to outside you can access your server from internet.
The following user(s) said Thank You: enigma

9 years 2 weeks ago #1059 by enigma
Replied by enigma on topic wifi or ethernet cable
Thank you so much for your info, I want to do the same, but I do not know how to setup my router to my RPI via a lan cable and still use my wifi sensors talking to my wifi RPI dongle and also excess my easyiot webserver via the same wifi RPI dongle, sorry I am just a beginner have maybe many stupid questions, where can I find a tutorial about this, or is there somebody how can give a help via telephone or email.
Thanks in advance
with kind regards

9 years 2 weeks ago #1064 by Dennis
Replied by Dennis on topic wifi or ethernet cable
Everything in your home network is connected to your router - some devices are connected via wifi, some are connected with ethernet cable.

Your router doesn't care, since all connections (wifi and cable) are using the TCP protocol to communicate with your router.

So, every device can communicate with others in your home network, as long as it is connected to the router - either wifi or cable.

You can connect your raspberry with ethernet cable, and connect sensors etc. via wifi, and still the raspberry can talk to them - thanks to your router which connects anything with everything..

This is true for wifi and ethernet.

Complete different story are sensors using NRF24 chipset, these are NOT wifi but some other proprietary protocol and for these, you need one module at each side of the connection - one at the raspberry and one at the sensor side.

regards
The following user(s) said Thank You: enigma

9 years 2 weeks ago #1068 by enigma
Replied by enigma on topic wifi or ethernet cable
Thanks again, because if I understand correctly my WIFI router and my ESP8266’s and my RPI all talk via my wifi RPI dongle so I thought if I hardwire my RPI with my wifi router via a LAN cable , there will be less overhead for my RPI wifi dongle, and therefore maybe faster
regards

9 years 2 weeks ago #1070 by Dennis
Replied by Dennis on topic wifi or ethernet cable
No, this makes no sense. There is NO direct connection between the esp8266's and your RPi wifi dongle. Both communicate ONLY via your router.

Are you experiencing slowliness, or whats the problem? :)

regards

Time to create page: 0.184 seconds

Forum latest

• No posts to display.