Sensors local to Pi?

9 years 3 weeks ago - 9 years 3 weeks ago #1006 by PaulRB
Sensors local to Pi? was created by PaulRB
Question/suggestion:

Could sensors be attached directly to the Pi's gpio interface but be treated by EasyIot the same as any other remote sensor?

This would allow, for example, barrometric pressure sensor (e.g. BMP085) to be attached directly to the Pi instead of a remote Arduino-based sensor. This would help to maximise the battery life of the remote sensors. Pressure would be the same at both the location of the Pi and the remote sensor.

Paul

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 3 weeks ago - 9 years 3 weeks ago #1009 by skywatch
Replied by skywatch on topic Sensors local to Pi?

PaulRB wrote: Question/suggestion:

Could sensors be attached directly to the Pi's gpio interface but be treated by EasyIot the same as any other remote sensor?
Paul

That's a good idea and I like it!

PaulRB wrote: Pressure would be the same at both the location of the Pi and the remote sensor.

Paul

I am not so sure of this as the BMP180 (and BMP085) both need the current temperatue to figure out the air pressure. A sensor indoors will be inaccurate compared to one outdoors (unless the temperatures at both the pi and remote are identical).

Skywatch..

9 years 3 weeks ago #1010 by HarryDutch
Replied by HarryDutch on topic Sensors local to Pi?
Temperature is needed to compensate pressure. So it doesn't matter if the sensor is outside or inside. It will show the same pressure. Can be used in a temperature range from -40 to 85 (Celsius). Google for the datasheet.

9 years 2 weeks ago #1021 by mrbwa1
Replied by mrbwa1 on topic Sensors local to Pi?

HarryDutch wrote: Temperature is needed to compensate pressure. So it doesn't matter if the sensor is outside or inside. It will show the same pressure. Can be used in a temperature range from -40 to 85 (Celsius). Google for the datasheet.

Absolutely right. The temperature reading is uses to calibrate the pressure reading. the BMP sensors are pretty neat because of how they work. The tutorials kind of hint at what you can do, but they always use a constant for the altitude. I have written Arduino code based on the SFE library that takes are reading, computes the current altitude and then outputs a compensated barometric pressure for weather readings.

It's not totally finished code, but the ides is to be able to build a small portable weather station to take hiking/camping to gives temp, barometric pressure, but can also show current elevation. I wan thinking of adding a button to lock a base altitude, allowing you to compute difference in altitude as you hiked, or add a data logger to see altitude changes.

Before I started playing with Easy-IOT, I had a BMP set up on an indoor Arduino Ethernet to do what the OP is asking. I was planning on porting that code to a board with my indoor humidity sensor, but adding it to GPIO might not be a bad idea (other than figuring out how to code everything in Python)

9 years 2 weeks ago #1024 by EasyIoT
Replied by EasyIoT on topic Sensors local to Pi?

PaulRB wrote: Question/suggestion:

This would allow, for example, barrometric pressure sensor (e.g. BMP085) to be attached directly to the Pi instead of a remote Arduino-based sensor. This would help to maximise the battery life of the remote sensors. Pressure would be the same at both the location of the Pi and the remote sensor.

Paul

Yes, but there is no native support for sensor like BMP085. It's possible to do in automation, but you should program by yourself. In my configuration most sensors are battery powered, but there are some of them which can not be powered by battery - for example LCD thermostat. So I put sensors like BMP085 there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mrbwa1

Time to create page: 0.225 seconds

Forum latest

• No posts to display.