Main goal is to create secure, reliable and cheap platform for internet of things (IoT).
Before we start building our system we have some basic requirements:
- secure - we don't want our neighbor (or stranger 1000 km away) switch on/off our lights :).
- reliable - no need additional explanation.
- cheap - we want build our system from components easily available on market for low price.
- access to our system from everywhere with different connection options.
- we want all systems on our server. We don't want to depend on external cloud services. We want our data stay ours - no NSA sniffing :). Of course if we want we can share our data with external services, but only if we want.
- low power consumption - our system runs 24/7 so we dot't want to increase our electricity bill because of that. We also want to run our sensors on batteries at least one year (sometimes even 5-10 years).
As we see on picture we use Raspberry Pi as EasyIoT server. Raspberry Pi is easily available everywhere and it's cheap. Model A and B consume about 2.5 W of power, model B+ consumes even less power.
Some EasyIoT server features:
- modern responsive HTML5 web interface,
- password protected access with SSL encryption support,
- programmable automation engine,
- logging sensor information in database,
- support for mobile devices (WEB and native),
- SMS access and control,
- it allows access from different devices: desktop and mobile,
- supports different drivers: MySensors, Raspberry Pi GPIO,
- low power consumption,
- WEB service API.
Sensor node features:
- low power consumption - if it runs on battery it must run at least 1 year without need to change batteries (some of sensors even 5 years),
- small size
See tutorials at http://iot-playground.com/build