My fridge

9 years 1 month ago #758 by HarryDutch
My fridge was created by HarryDutch
I’ve installed a temperature sensor in my refrigerator. First it didn’t work because a fridge is more or less a closed metal box that is blocking a substantial part of the radio signals. However, installing a repeater nearby solved this problem. It’s working now flawlessly.

What I’m trying to achieve is the following: as soon as temperature is below or above a certain threshold I want to make it visible on a separate display by using leds or something like that. Not using leds in the sensor itself in the fridge but by using a separate box outside the fridge. My question is: is it possible to use a NRF radio that makes a request every 5 minutes to the IoT server (interrogate the database?) to see if temperature has crossed a threshold?

I don’t expect a turnkey solution but maybe a hint which direction I should follow for the solution. Thank in advance.

Harry

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 1 month ago #764 by EasyIoT
Replied by EasyIoT on topic My fridge

HarryDutch wrote: I’ve installed a temperature sensor in my refrigerator. First it didn’t work because a fridge is more or less a closed metal box that is blocking a substantial part of the radio signals. However, installing a repeater nearby solved this problem. It’s working now flawlessly.

What I’m trying to achieve is the following: as soon as temperature is below or above a certain threshold I want to make it visible on a separate display by using leds or something like that. Not using leds in the sensor itself in the fridge but by using a separate box outside the fridge. My question is: is it possible to use a NRF radio that makes a request every 5 minutes to the IoT server (interrogate the database?) to see if temperature has crossed a threshold?

I don’t expect a turnkey solution but maybe a hint which direction I should follow for the solution. Thank in advance.

Harry

You can request value in sensor, but why constantly pool? EasyIoT server supports events and you can send value from one sensor to other in automation when value changed or some condition occurred. See ESP8266 thermostat example at the end you have automation script to send temperature from one sensor to thermostat display.

9 years 1 month ago #770 by HarryDutch
Replied by HarryDutch on topic My fridge
It's impossible for me to understand what's happening in this automation script. I need more examples to find out how it's working. Are you planning more tutorials on this subject?

9 years 1 month ago #797 by HarryDutch
MySensors driver. EasyIoT version V0_7b2.

I'm testing the node to node communication. I have 2 sketches. A sketch for the receiver (this is also a repeater with node id 7) and a sketch for the transmiiter with node id 3. When a message arrives for node 7 a led will blink for the2 seconds, just to check if a message arrives at node 7. Untill now this is not working. Can EasyIoT confirm that what I'm trying to achieve with both sketches is supported by EasyIoT?

Transmitting:
#include <MySensor.h>
#include <SPI.h>

#define TEMP_CHILD 0

unsigned long SLEEP_TIME = 60000;

MySensor gw;

MyMessage msgTemp(TEMP_CHILD, V_TEMP);

void setup()  
{  
  gw.begin();

gw.sendSketchInfo("Test Node", "1.0");

gw.present(TEMP_CHILD, S_TEMP);
}

void loop() 
{
  float test = 3.5;
  gw.send(msgTemp.setDestination(7).set(test,1));
  gw.sleep(SLEEP_TIME);  
}

Receiving:
#include <MySensor.h>
#include <SPI.h>

MySensor gw;

#define ledPin 6

void setup()  
{  

gw.begin(incomingMessage, AUTO, true);
  Serial.begin(115200);
  pinMode(ledPin, OUTPUT);
  digitalWrite(ledPin, LOW);  

gw.sendSketchInfo("TEST", "1.0");
}

void loop() 
{
  gw.process();
}

void incomingMessage(const MyMessage &message) {
    digitalWrite(ledPin, HIGH);
    delay(2000);
    digitalWrite(ledPin, LOW);  
}

9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #801 by HarryDutch
@ EasyIoT

I know you are very busy but if you have the time could you take a look at here?:

forum.mysensors.org/topic/1083/repeater-and-blinking-leds/5

Maybe you can shed some light on this mystery.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: solved it

9 years 1 month ago #811 by skywatch
Replied by skywatch on topic My fridge
I placed sensors in my fridge and freezer about a year ago and still going well with temp and humidity readings.

One thing to note is that batteries will not last very long in a cold environment as it slows the chemical reaction. My solution was to wire the sensors to the top outside of the units and there place the arduino/nrf24/powersupply. It works well and I have also added a 16x02 LCD in the door to show readings.

Skywatch,

Time to create page: 0.341 seconds

Forum latest

• No posts to display.