Programming Arduino Pro mini from Arduino Uno

8 years 4 months ago #2631 by basketballmail2
Hi guys,

I'm new to all this stuff and for the past day I have been trying to program my Arduino Pro mini from an Arduino Uno without any luck. I keep getting an error that basically indicates it cant write anything at all to it.

Is it even possible?

Thanks
Cedric

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #2632 by BadBallscrewBob
Do a google for "use uno as isp" There are a plethora of methods but you may want to avoid those that say pull the chip from your UNO.

For my minis I use the programmer as they are super cheap and very versatile allowing me to also program ESP8266's and a few other bits and pieces

There are two types One is usb to FT232 which I tend to use more and the ICSP which I only really use for the bigger Arduinos

Search EBay for "arduino icsp" and also "arduino usb to serial" they are different devices
For the FT232 devices make sure the have both 3.3V AND 5V selectable on the VCC output pin as some don't

www.instructables.com/id/FTDI-Modificati...r-Arduino-minis-etc/
For the ICSP device make sure it comes with at least the 6 pin header cable.

Had issues going your route and found it a little hit and miss until I got these things and then I never looked back.

Do unto others before they get chance to scr3w you over
The following user(s) said Thank You: basketballmail2

8 years 4 months ago #2636 by basketballmail2
Thanks for the info, I'll definitely look into that. I got as far as being able to get the boot loader onto the Mini Pro but I can't upload any sketches no matter what I do it doesn't work.

I plan on writing a little how to once I get everything worked out for the total beginner like I am. Thanks for your help so far!

Time to create page: 1.986 seconds

Forum latest

• No posts to display.