Making EasyIoT accessible in the internet

9 years 2 weeks ago - 9 years 2 weeks ago #1043 by PaulRB
Hi, I am attempting to make EasyIoT hosted on a Raspberry Pi accessible via the internet. The EasyIoT web pages can be viewed OK over my LAN. The raspberry Pi is connected to my router, a Dovado 4GR, with a network cable.

I have made the following settings on my router:

In Port Forwarding I have set the following to forward incoming requests on port 8080 to port 80 on the Pi:
Ports 	Protocol 	Destination Address 	Destination Port 	
8080 	TCP/UDP	192.168.0.160	80

In the DHCP menu I have set the following so that the Pi has a fixed address on my LAN:
Static Address Assignments
	Type 	Host 	IP Address
Raspberry Pi	MAC	b8:27:eb:17:33:81	192.168.0.160

In DNS settings I have set:
Service provider URL:	duckdns.org
Username:	<my email address>
Password:	••••••••
My domain: 	granary.duckdns.org

However, I cannot access the web pages via granary.duckdns.org:8080, my browser just hangs.

When I log into DuckDNS, I can see that my IP address has not been updated to match the address showing on the router information pages. If I manually update this address, I can then ping as follows:
ping granary.duckdns.org
PING granary.duckdns.org (100.111.132.116) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 100.111.132.116: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.770 ms
64 bytes from 100.111.132.116: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=0.559 ms
64 bytes from 100.111.132.116: icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=0.617 ms

This shows that the domain is correctly being translated to my current IP address. However, these ping times are much too short compared to pinging other sites and must therefore be only over my LAN.

I noticed that the port forwarding page on my router says "Note: Not all mobile operators allow inbound connections, in which case port forwarding is impossible. Further information is available on www.dovado.com ". I have asked these questions to Dovado's support team and am waiting for a reply from them.

My questions are:

1. Can anyone tell me if port forwarding like this is possible with operator EE in the UK? My Huawei E392 USB modem is connecting on 3G because no 4G signal is available at my location.
2. Can anyone suggest why duckdns is not being updated with my current IP address? Did I set up the DNS settings correctly?
3. Can anyone suggest anything else I need to do or any tests I could perform to figure out why I cannot access the Pi via internet?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Paul

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 2 weeks ago #1044 by EasyIoT
As far as I know most mobile providers do not allow access to your IP address from internet. The solution is reverse proxy, but you need one additional server.
In your case you can also try directly access to your IP address from outside (not by granary.duckdns.org:8080). Check your IP address and then access from internet with IP:8080.

9 years 2 weeks ago #1045 by PaulRB

EasyIoT wrote: Check your IP address and then access from internet with IP:8080.

Thanks, I already tried that, with the same result.

I will read up on reverse proxy.

9 years 2 weeks ago #1046 by PaulRB
Hi,

It seems what I was attempting is not possible. Using traceroute, I discovered that several of the hops needed to reach any internet site from my network have IP addresses beginning "10.". These are all "Private" addresses, presumably belonging to my ISP. Because they are private, inbound connections are blocked.

A user on the Raspberry Pi forum has given me a workaround. Its a service called "Weaved". You sign up (create an account) at their website. Then you download and install some software to your Pi following the instructions on their site. This allows you to connect to your Pi and use the EasyIoT interface over the internet (or any other web server software, plus other options like remote shell).
Weaved instructions

This does not make EasyIoT available to anyone on the internet, only to yourself, or other users with a Weaved account that you choose to share it with. This is all I wanted to be able to do (the Pi and my slow internet connection would not be suitable for anything more than very light traffic).

Paul

9 years 2 weeks ago #1048 by HarryDutch
@PaulRB

Great tip Paul. Never heard of Weaved before. Will certainly give it a try. Thanks!

9 years 2 weeks ago #1049 by EasyIoT
@PaulRB Yes, good solution. Please report how it works with EasyIoT server.

Time to create page: 0.285 seconds

Forum latest

• No posts to display.