ESP8266 WiFI temperature and humidity sensor

8 years 11 months ago #1471 by ArneiO

piman wrote: I've been trying this for a while and although I get the ESP 8266 speaking with the Arduino and giving out readings it seems to stop after a while do you know why this is

There could be a number of reasons like too weak power supply, wiring problems, loose contacts, insufficient decoupling, faulty ESP. programming errors, etc... Since you are able to make it work, the basics of what you're doing seems ok. Finding intermittent failures is always difficult.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 11 months ago #1491 by piman
Thanks @ArneiO, I look into the power supply and also check my wiring yet again thanks for your help.
Andy.

8 years 10 months ago #1695 by zyrotron

ArneiO wrote:

piman wrote: I've been trying this for a while and although I get the ESP 8266 speaking with the Arduino and giving out readings it seems to stop after a while do you know why this is

There could be a number of reasons like too weak power supply, wiring problems, loose contacts, insufficient decoupling, faulty ESP. programming errors, etc... Since you are able to make it work, the basics of what you're doing seems ok. Finding intermittent failures is always difficult.

I have the same problem. The longest a node stayed alive was 14 hours on batteries (and then the batteries died). Using a cheap breadboard power supply from ebay I haven't managed to keep the nodes alive more than an hour. I am still looking into it, but I would blame the power supply and poor decoupling.

The strange thing however is that when esp hangs then it is very difficult to communicate again with the server. It takes lots of resets for some reason.

Probably it would be preferable to reset esp automatically in the code every once in a while.

8 years 10 months ago #1696 by piman
I have been going through this for a couple of weeks now I've looked into my power supply -in power usage on both devices i.e. the Arduino and the ESP after making a couple of changes and running both device on separate power supply to make sure I've got enough Power. I have managed to get one node running for more than 24 hours quite reliably without dropping out and when it does resets itself and continues but still not hundred percent.
I've also built a second node in exactly the same way that doesn't seem as though it can run for more than an hour before it drop out and does not reset it self hence also scratching my head at the moment.

8 years 10 months ago #1699 by piman
Just made an alteration to one of my nodes and the results seem very promising,this one's been running for three hours plus without stopping. :woohoo:

8 years 10 months ago #1703 by zyrotron
Great news. I have also checked my power supply with an oscilloscope and realized that it was indeed a bad power supply. Then I used a 1000uF electrolytic capacitor and the node worked for more that 15 hours almost without problems. Sometimes the temperature sensor stops reporting. The humidity part of the sensor seems to be OK.

Summarizing, it seems that all the problems are due to the use of a poor supply.

Pinman, did you make any changes to the code? I would appreciate it if you shared your changes (code or circuit) you made.

Time to create page: 0.345 seconds

Forum latest

• No posts to display.