Call external apps/scripts

7 years 7 months ago #3479 by mihai.aldea
After playing with the SMS interface for a few weeks now, juggling with a SIM900 module, an Olimex 3G USB modem and one of those orange chinese one with two SIM cards from two different providers, lots of ways of powering the SIM900 and the Raspberry, my conclusion is that the SMS interface is totally unreliable.
I don't want to break the bank with one of those outrageously overpriced (on the local market) Adafruit Fona modules hoping that they will work.
EasyIoT is not the culprit here but rather the Raspberry itself or the Raspbian because the same unreliabile behavior is exhibited with gammu-smsd as well. The modes work flawless on some Orange Pi boards but I can only test the gammu-smsd reliability as while EasyIoT app runs on Armbian just fine, there's no reference on how to wire the NRF24L01+ modules on the Orange Pi's GPIO pins.
So I'm left with the option of calling and external resource (eg. ssh on an OrangePi and use its gammu-smsd instance) by either a cronjob that would parse the EasyIoT logs, or create an automation program that would be able to call external resources and accomplish the same thing but in realtime rather that using a cronjob running every minute.
I know that the syntax is C#, however since I'm no programmer, I'm totally clueless on how the code snippet should look like. If it's even possible.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 7 months ago #3495 by mihai.aldea
Running the EasyIoT.exe daemon inside a logging screen and parsing the file with "tail -f" allows me to do pretty much anything I need, including calling external apps. However it requires moderate Linux knowledge and lots of hardcoding.

7 years 6 months ago #3496 by EasyIoT
Replied by EasyIoT on topic Call external apps/scripts

mihai.aldea wrote: After playing with the SMS interface for a few weeks now, juggling with a SIM900 module, an Olimex 3G USB modem and one of those orange chinese one with two SIM cards from two different providers, lots of ways of powering the SIM900 and the Raspberry, my conclusion is that the SMS interface is totally unreliable.
I don't want to break the bank with one of those outrageously overpriced (on the local market) Adafruit Fona modules hoping that they will work.
EasyIoT is not the culprit here but rather the Raspberry itself or the Raspbian because the same unreliabile behavior is exhibited with gammu-smsd as well. The modes work flawless on some Orange Pi boards but I can only test the gammu-smsd reliability as while EasyIoT app runs on Armbian just fine, there's no reference on how to wire the NRF24L01+ modules on the Orange Pi's GPIO pins.
So I'm left with the option of calling and external resource (eg. ssh on an OrangePi and use its gammu-smsd instance) by either a cronjob that would parse the EasyIoT logs, or create an automation program that would be able to call external resources and accomplish the same thing but in realtime rather that using a cronjob running every minute.
I know that the syntax is C#, however since I'm no programmer, I'm totally clueless on how the code snippet should look like. If it's even possible.

I've played a lot with GSM module nad EasyIoT server. I'm using one of these cheap USB 3G dongles. You can get them for 10$ on ebay. Regarding stability: you need really good power supply at least 2 A. I'm using Samsung charger. Also shotcut fuse on Raspberry to provide enough current to USB modem.

7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #3498 by mihai.aldea
I used three types of chargers, all of them rated at 2A. I haven't shorted the fuse on the RPi, however I used one of these:
www.olimex.com/Products/USB-Modules/USB-CAP/
It should've get the job done without the shorted fuse.
I used it with:
www.olimex.com/Products/USB-Modules/MOD-USB3G/
and with two cheap chinese orange ones.

I also tried with this one:
www.aliexpress.com/item/DHL-EUB-10pcs-SI...-3o/32679805820.html
using separate external power and grounding it to the Pi. This one proved to be a bit more reliable than the others.

The thing is that since I started tinkering with Armbian, I seem to find the RPi/Raspbian combination more and more flimsier comparing to Armbian on other boards. And I believe that this is where the problem lies and not with EasyIoT.

Time to create page: 0.233 seconds

Forum latest

• No posts to display.